Saturday, November 5, 2016

Remember When - My Creative Scrapbook Limited Edition Kit

It's reveal day at My Creative Scrapbook, and I am happy to have been asked to guest design with the Limited Edition kit again this month.

It's no secret that I love Blue Fern Studios papers and chipboard, so I was very excited to get this kit, which is packed full of the Memoires paper collection, Blue Fern Studios flowers (which are quickly becoming a favourite!) and lots of chipboard.

For my first layout, I scrapped a photo of my three boys on a hike for their dad's birthday in May of this year. It can be a real challenge to get a photo where all three are smiling, looking at the camera and have their eyes open, so I cherish the photos that work out.


To start I coated both sides of the background paper with clear gesso. Blue Fern papers are nice and thick and stand up well to mixed media as is, but I find that reinforcing the paper on both sides with gesso has two benefits; it reduces warping dramatically when working with water or wet media and it prevents your media soaking into the paper, which makes it easier to move around on your background (or to sop up with a paper towel with a minimum of mess if you make a mistake).


I started by adding some stencilling with an alphabet stencil to the background with light modelling paste for a subtle effect that would absorb rather than resist the mediums I would add later (you can see  the stencilling in the photo above). I then added my paper layers and painted on some shades of blue using mists.


I cut the birdhouse flourish chipboard apart into four pieces that I could layer in each of the three clusters on the page, and painted it simply with gold mist.


Have I mentioned how much I love these flowers? I dabbed a bit of white gesso on them, then covered my photo with some scraps and splattered the completed page with red mist and opaque white paint.

Thank you for stopping by today! If you haven't yet picked up your Limited Edition kit, or if you want to see the other three November kits on sale now, please stop by My Creative Scrapbook.


Products Used:

Blue Fern Studios Memoires collection: Remember When, Grand Sequel, Calling Cards
Trims
Blue Fern Studios Tranquil Blooms
Chipboard birdcage

From my stash:

Tim Holtz stencil
Light Modeling Paste
Prima Color Bloom sprays: Gold Foil, Soft Teal, Poppy Field, Deep Teal
EK Success Punch
Archival Ink - Jet Black
Prima stamp
White gesso

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So pretty! Awesome goodies and perfectly executed!