Monday, May 23, 2016

More Than Words May Challenge - Moments and Clocks

I had a lot of fun playing around with the More Than Words challenge this month, partly because it was a great chance to try out my new Prima Rust Paste set. You know when you have one of those scrappy products that you just can't wait to start playing with? Rust Paste was it for me.


The theme for the challenge this month is "Moment", and to use clocks on your layout, so I started with the Roman Clock Face - Large from Blue Fern Studios, and primed it with white gesso before adding some Light Patina Metallique paint here and there. Once dried, I started adding the various colours of rust paste. Just look at all that glorious texture! As a finishing touch I added some green and purple paint, then touched everything up with the Gold Rust Paste.


Blue Fern Studios' Serendipity collection's beautiful vintage feel was a nice complement to the rusty clock, but even after I'd tucked in some corrugated cardboard and torn the edges of my paper layers, I was having trouble getting a unified feel between the grunginess of the clock face and the soft feeling of the paper. Rust paste to the rescue! Using a stiff-bristled paintbrush, I applied the two darker colours of rust around the edges of the paper using a pouncing motion. I love the outcome - the layers feel very integrated to me now.


The Checker Bits chipboard was heat embossed using Aged Ivory Embossing Enamel, then I used a finger to brush on some of the Gold Rust Paste to help integrate it into the layout.


Given that the challenge was to use clocks, plural, I dug through my stash for some extra timepieces. The pocket watch below is one of the Vintage Trinket Clocks mounted with a clock face metal clip from the Cartographer collection.


Nestled into my cluster is one of the resin clocks, coloured with Artisan Powders, Color Bloom Sprays and Rust Paste.


For the "Moment" portion of the challenge, I selected a phrase from the Serendipity Calling Cards paper that sums up the picture I used perfectly. We'd invested in family photographs, and I had all sorts of grand plans for beautiful, composed family shots. And we got those, but also some great candids, and those shots are some of my favourites, because when I look at them I can feel the love, goofiness and playfulness that is our family dynamic. I definitely hadn't planned on this shot, with Elliot hanging off my head while I try to stop Brennan from sliding off my other hip, but I love the picture of this moment.


Thank you to More Than Words for a great challenge as always! There is still plenty of time to play along before the end of the month - click on the image below to be redirected to their blog.


Thank you for stopping by!

Products Used:

Prima

Media:
Métallique Paint: Light Patina
Opal Magic Paint: Violet Green
Rust Paste
Artisan Powder: La Chapeliere, Parthenay
Color Bloom: Gold Foil, Soft Teal, Deep Teal
Chalk Edger: Dark Rust
3D Gel Medium

Flowers:
Tales of You and Me (586263)
Leaves (578411)
Archivist (580490) (580865)
Archivist Chronicle Butterflies (580445)

Embellishments:
Shabby Chic Treasures - Clocks (892081)
Vintage Trinkets - Clocks
Cartography Metal Clips (572976)
Timeless Memories Say It In Crystals (579401)
Louviers Chains
Glass Beads: Butter

Blue Fern Studios

Serendipity Collection: Imagination, Calling Cards, Chronicle
Sanctuary Collection: Botanical Garden
Chipboard: Roman Clock Set Large, Checker Bits

Other

Silks Paint: Mallard Green
Stampendous: Aged Ivory Embossing Enamel

7 comments:

Katie said...

Stunning layout and love how you have inked the clock.

Di Garling said...

Oh Jackie, this is totally fabulous and such a priceless photo too. Love your attention to detail. Such a great take on our challenge. Thanks for playing along with us at More Than Words.

Helen Hapsi said...

Amazing layering !! I really love the innovative way you build your page and the photo is great too !! Thank you so much for joining us at More than Words !!

Heather McMahon said...

Oh wow - your rusty clock is amazing! I love it! Thanks for joining us at More Than Words.

ValerieOuelletScrapbooking said...

wow wow! I love your works!! Very fantastic! Thank you for playing with us at MTW Challenge!

Nicole Doiron said...

Oh my! The way you treated that chipboard clock - it looks absolutely amazing! Lovely layout all around! Thank you for playing along with us at More Than Words!

Rachael Funnell said...

That clock looks INCREDIBLE..
GORGEOUS page!!
ThankS Jackie for joining in over @ More Than Words!! x