Tuesday, June 11, 2013

What Can You Do Wednesday at Flying Unicorn

Hi everyone!  It's my turn to host What Can You Do Wednesday (WCYDW) at the Flying Unicorn.


Today I've prepared a tutorial on making a funky mixed media background using Gelatos, Gesso and Gel Medium.

I started by drawing random blocks on my art journal page in pencil.


I colored them in with various complementary colors of Gelatos - I wasn't too concerned about total coverage, but I did lay down a lot of each color so that there would be something to move around with my mediums.


I went over some blocks with Gloss Gel Medium, using it to push my color around like paint and completely cover the white in the block...


And other blocks I used Gesso the same way.  Though the Gesso looks streaky going on it dries smooth and gives a toned-down, whitewashed effect to the brighter colors.


This is what my page looked like after the mediums were on.


I outlined the blocks in Dylusions Black Marble (using the straw of the applicator to draw them in) and spritzed with water to get messy, indistinct lines. - the Gel Medium and Gesso seal the page so the Gelatos don't run while the mist does.  The Gel Medium acts as a more complete resist than the Gesso, so there is more time to blot at and manipulate the mist on those blocks.


Now to add some depth.  I outlined the page in black Gelato, and used it to enhance the blocks further, then added shading with brown Pan Pastels.  To add some texture I used Glass Beads Gel in the circles.


And here is the completed page.  I used some Kaisercraft and 7 Gypsies rubons from my stash, added some masking with a Crafter's Workshop mask and gesso, used the Dylusions to outline the circles and flick across the page and colored the circles with brown mist.


This technique can also be used to smoothly blend out pastels.

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of WCYDW and can't wait to see what you create!



1 comment:

Shona said...

this is just soooooo much fun :)