Thursday, June 27, 2013

Getting Your Masks To Do Double Duty

Have you ever bought a mask, only to discover once it arrives that it is actually the opposite of what you were expecting - that the parts you expected to be cut out are solid, and vice versa and so it languishes in your stash?  Do you have other masks you love, but that you look at and wish that you had an inverse mask as well?  For me it's the Crafter's Workshop Mini Brick Wall mask - sometimes I want solid bricks, and am in luck, but other times I wish I could just mask out mortar lines.

I had the pleasure of attending several workshops with Dina Wakely last weekend, and she shared an inspired technique she uses in her art journaling to get the most out of her masks.  I couldn't wait to try it on a layout!

I love this mask from the Crafter's Workshop, but I haven't been able to figure out how to use it on a layout - until now.


Start by priming your paper with Gesso. You just need a thin layer - I scraped mine on with a card. Let it dry.


Trace the edge of your stencil so you know how far to paint.


You can use any acrylic paint - I chose to use one of my new Distress Paints - I love how fluid they are.  I poured it out and painted it on with a paintbrush.


You want to lay this layer on thick enough that it won't dry too quickly so that you have time to work with it.


Lay your stencil over your painted area.


Take a moist (not too wet!) baby wipe, and wipe vigorously at the areas of exposed paint, removing it from the gessoed background.


Peel away your stencil and voila - you have the negative impression of your mask!


And here is my completed layout - I ended up rotating my background.  Do you see the reverse masking with the mini brick wall stencil?


This is my 4 year old Brennan clowning around in a tree - he was so proud of himself for being up there like the big kids!

A couple closeups:




Additional Supplies

Most supplies are from the April 2013 Kit of the Month, which is sold out, but you can buy them separately in the Flying Unicorn Store:

- Prima Lifetime Dolce paper
- Prima Lifetime Journaling Spot Stickers
- Prima Lifetime Wood Buttons
- Prima Lifetime Paper Flowers
- Prima Lifetime Wire Paper Flowers
- Prima Engraver Fabric Vine
- Petaloo Party Stick Ons Small Peony Copper
- Petaloo Premier Penny Lane Ruffled Roses
- Lindy's Stamp Gang Ruby Red Slippers (from the Wizard of Oz set)
- Tattered Angels Glimmer Glam - Be Positive
- Bo Bunny C'Est La Vie Ephemera paper

No comments: