Friday, March 8, 2013

Play Often *** Flying Unicorn KOM ***

My sister and I took Elliot and Brennan tubing for the first time this year up at Whistler, and we had so much fun!  I love that all you can actually see of Elliot in these photos is his grin.

I have to admit, orange and teal aren't my usual go-to colors, but I had so much fun playing with the Claudine Hellmuth acrylics from the  Sweet Days kit of the month that I wanted to try using them on a layout.  I started by muting the colors on my torn strips by coating everything with some Picket Fence Distress Stain - this also helps to tie the disparate colors together so they work together instead of clashing.  I then went over the background with the Kaisercraft Crackle stamp, a definite favorite of mine, and Jasmine Mix'd Media Inx.





I've been hoarding these white Prima butterflies for a while, and they offered the perfect pop of white against an otherwise very colorful layout (and freed up some more space for new scrappy goodies!).  The Maya Road flowers are from an old Flying Unicorn kit; I cut them into pieces and used each section and the rhinestones throughout the layout.



This gorgeous chippy is the new Dusty Attic Wattle Blossom, coming soon to the Flying Unicorn Store.  I painted it to echo the stenciling on my background.


In addition to the paint drips, stamping and stenciling, I used Gelatos to add some additional color to a Prima resin piece from my stash (more room for goodies - yay!) and my photo mats.


And isn't that a slogan we could all learn from?!?

Hope you're having a great week!

1 comment:

Jackie Plank said...

Oh wowsers, I love what you have done here. I would never think to paint the strips first!
Gorgeous!!