Thursday, January 31, 2013

You Make My Heart Fly Canvas *** Flying Unicorn KOM ***

This month's KOM "Celebrate Every Love" from Flying Unicorn contains a 12 X 12 stretched canvas.  The kit contained all sorts of elements I couldn't wait to use for my Off The Page project - the ideas started to flow as soon as I unpacked this yummy kit.

The kit contains a package of metal adornments from Flying Unicorn including a stunning three dimensional heart that I built my canvas around.


I'm so pleased with the way the flying heart turned out.  I started by coloring the metal with a Copic marker (R46 Strong Red), then added the Scrap FX Ornate Wings and some white feathers from my stash that I trimmed into shape once they were adhered to the rest.


To achieve the texture on the chipboard wings I coated them in embossing ink and Platinum UTEE.  I melted the UTEE and let it cool slightly, then pressed a stamp into the surface.  And voila, it bumped the visual interest up considerably.


For the background of the canvas, I started out by dabbing on generous amounts of white Gesso to seal the canvas and create texture.  While the gesso was still wet I pressed in some silver Pop! Micro Beads. I then misted the whole thing with Tattered Angels Plain Jane in Pink and dried it thoroughly.  I wanted lots of texture around the picture of Evan and our three boys, so I applied liberal amounts of molding paste, and I sprinkled Tim Holtz Distress Stickles Dry Glitter over it while it was still wet (you can see some in the picture below, but it is really apparent in real life).  I love this stuff, its chunky and gritty and oh-so-cool.  Once the molding pasted was dry I sprayed on Tattered Angels Plain Jane Rosey, which was included in the Embellishment Add-On, followed by TA Plain Jane in Light Blue through the Crafter's Workshop Cosmic Swirl mask.  I finished the background off with some Black Gesso from the Main Kit and Black Gelato around the outside.



I used Gelatos in pink, blue, white and black to color my Pink Paislee wooden alphas.

I had a lot of fun making this canvas - I hope you've enjoyed looking at it.

All the best!

Jackie

1 comment:

Shona said...

sooooooooooooo yummy :)