Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My October "Monster Mash" Challenge at Flying Unicorn

I can't believe that October is here already!  September has flown by.  While we're still enjoying warmer (and drier) than average weather in Vancouver, the arrival of October invariably means the arrival of the Halloween season.

For my challenge this month at Flying Unicorn I have prepared a recipe with a decidedly Halloween feel, though entries do not have to be Halloween themed.

Recipe for "Monster Mash"

- Foil
- Gauze
- Eyelets
- A Green Medium
- Ribbon or lace

Here is my inspiration layout:


I used some very, very old Basic Grey and Bo Bunny papers (so old they are still single-sided!) from my stash.  The photo is of my niece at Halloween a couple of years ago - it was the first time she had gone trick-or-treating.  My three year old can't figure out the word "vampire" so he says that she was a "sand pirate" - too cute!

Here are a couple of close-ups:


The gorgeous white blooms are from Manor House Creations, available from the Flying Unicorn Store.  The gate is Petaloo Color-Me-Crazy from the September kit; I've painted it with black acrylic and cut it in half so it frames my title.


To make the foil letters, I adhered foil tape from the hardware store to scrap strips of cardstock, ran them through the BigShot with the Tim Holtz Vintage Market letter die and then ran them through again in the Riveted Metal Texture Fade.  I then painted them with black acrylic and once that was dry rubbed on the green Inka-Gold.


For the background I used my Crafter's Workshop brick mask as a stencil, then painted in the individual bricks with molding paste for lots of texture.  I finished them off with Mowed Lawn Distress ink from the Flying Unicorn Store to give the appearance of slimy bricks in a crypt.


I also dripped green alcohol ink down the page to add to the effect of a slimy, dank place.

This challenge is open to anyone who is a member of the Flying Unicorn community - it's free to join.  And as always, Alda is providing a gorgeous RAK to the winner of each challenge.  Here's the fantastic, and appropriately spooky, prize you could win just for playing along:


Rules

1. Entries must be new as of October 1st, 2012
2. Cards, layouts or off-the-page projects welcome; no digital 
3. Up to 3 entries per person
4. Entries do not have to be Halloween themed
5. Entries must include all of the recipe items

Standard Rules

1. Challenge closes at 8:00 EST on October 31st
2. Winner will be selected by random draw
3. Each individual can only win one challenge at the Flying Unicorn per month - enter as many challenges as you'd like to increase your chances of winning; international entries are welcome.
4. Layout cannot be used for any other Flying Unicorn challenge
5. Projects must be uploaded to the challenge thread and the Gallery
6. Winner will have 7 (seven) days to claim their prize by PM'ing Alda their full name and mailing address or will forfeit their RAK

I hope you will play along and can't wait to see what you whip up!

Jackie


No comments: